The Network Operations Center (NOC) of TEI of Piraeus provides a full set of network services to the whole academic community, necessary for the research, teaching and administration procedures. The NOC is a branch of the IT Administration Department.
Network Services provided from NOC:
- Internet connection: the TEI of Piraeus is connected to the Internet through the Metropolitan network “GRNET” of the General Secretariat for Research and Technology (GSRT).
- Administration and Management of the Networking Equipment: administration and proper operation oversee of the networking equipment of the Campus (optical equipment, switches, routers, user end-points, structured cabling).
- Domain Name Service (DNS): central administration of the domain naming and, also, of the RIPE Network Coordination Center’s IP range assigned to TEI (32 class C subnets).
- Static IP Addresses: service provided to department’s, lab’s or stewardship’s servers.
- Website Hosting: service provided in case one lab, department, school, club, research program or postgraduate program does not possess the appropriate equipment.
- E-mail accounts: service provided to teaching personnel, administrating personnel, stewardships, undergraduate and postgraduate students of TEI.
- Massive e-mail forwarding: forwarding announcement messages through e-mail to the whole or distinct groups of the community.
- Servers’ Digital Certificates Issue: in collaboration with the General Secretariat for Research and Technology (GSRT) the NOC is providing X.509 digital certificates for servers, signed by Comodo’s trusted Certification Authority.
- Personal Digital Certificates Issue: in collaboration with the General Secretariat for Research and Technology (GSRT) the NOC is providing X.509 digital certificates for individuals certified by the Authentication Authorization Infrastructure (AAI), signed by Comodo.
- Authentication and Authorization Infrastructure: the NOC participates in the Authentication and Authorization Infrastructure (AAI) of the General Secretariat for Research and Technology (GSRT).
- TeiPir account: administration of an LDAP servers complex that provides a single sign-on account for every member of the academic community.
- Virtual Private Network (VPN): secure connection to the TeiPir network and access to the provided services, irrespective of the position of user (in or out the Intranet).
- Dial Up: connection to the Intranet through phone landline.
- Helpdesk: support for all the network services, provided to all members of the community through phone, e-mail or FAX.